View count: 22184
History & MissionThe Foreign Language Center of National Chengchi University was established in 2004 under the College of Foreign Languages to facilitate the foreign language education of students not majoring in foreign languages. In this role, the Center directs several areas of language education. It is responsible for the overall planning and creation of the foreign language curriculum for general education at the university.
Each semester, the Center offers approximately 65 sections of the required College English course, and higher level elective courses that stress students’ academic English abilities. The Center also offers courses of more than 20 second foreign languages, such as German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Malay, and Vietnamese. In addition, the Center designs and supports the language courses for the English Taught Programs facilitated by various colleges.
Besides the regular academic-year curricula, the Center runs the extension program offering evening non-credit courses to promote foreign language education for the university and surrounding community, as well as summer for-credit foreign language courses for students who wish to intensify their learning.
The Foreign Language Center faculty and staff are dedicated to the teaching and research of foreign language education. Our research-based teaching goals and methods focus on bringing students’ English listening, speaking, reading, and writing abilities toward an increasingly practical and sophisticated level and cultivating their interest in second foreign languages through training them in effective foreign language learning methods and self-learning abilities, in addition to deepening cross-cultural communication. The Center endeavors to lay the foundation of lifelong learning and enhance the global mobility of our students.
- Development of foreign language courses recognizing the cultural aspects of meaningful communication and humanistic values.
- Development and promotion of online foreign language courses
- Implementation of innovative teaching and integration of multiple modes of assessment.
- Enhancement of foreign language students’ oral and written expression and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Enrichment of teachers' professional knowledge and ability through strengthening the language teacher community by facilitating lectures, workshops, and other activities.